Monday, April 5, 2010

Cross Country Skiing

When I got back to Sweden after my trips to Morocco and France, I discovered the wonderful sport of cross country skiing. Needless to say, I mastered it in 2 minutes, and I will be in the next Olympics of course!! Ok, not really. But it is a lot of fun! We went out on the frozen lake in Hjo and I got some pointers on the basics of cross country skiing, then I was off! It is a wonderful full body workout. A few days later, Oskar, his friend Erik (now my friend, too), and I went on the cross country skiing trails in the woods just outside Hjo. We brought snacks and hot chocolate for afterwards. I may have fallen on every downhill, and it may have taken 20 minutes to get up every small uphill, but it was great! We had a wonderful laughter-filled day, even though I got some bruises. I have decided that I need to live somewhere where I can go cross-country skiing a lot in the winter. This could be my second favorite sport now (second to swimming of course). Downhill skiing is something else entirely. I just got back from a three day skiing trip in Sälen. I have a lot of difficulty maneuvering myself with skis on, which ended up in my tripping over a lot of people in line, but that's ok. Though I went on a skiing trip there just after Christmas, I felt like I started over completely in learning. I suppose it didn't take quite as long for me to get used to it, but the second day I had to start getting over my fear again. It's scary going that fast! It's not so bad when it's slower, but once the speed picks up, I feel like I have no control over my skis, and then I am afraid of running into people or into a tree or something. Oh well. We had a great time, and I think I did really well, considering I am pretty much a beginner. Here are some pictures of the slopes and the frozen lake skiing.

No comments:

Post a Comment